Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's happening already...

Alyssa came home from school last week with 3 phone numbers. Each phone number was written in large numbers on a half piece of paper torn from a full sheet. You could tell a 1st grader had proudly written the numbers. Each page folded in several folds, one from Kira, another from Imani and other from....a boy, Nicholas.

Alyssa wanted so badly to call these friends and talk with them on the phone. Considering she is only in 1st grade I didn't feel very compelled to let her call them. Also I just didn't know if their parents would appreciate it either. We didn't let her call, but did ask..."did you give your number to anyone?" Alyssa smiled shyly and said yes, I gave it to Kira, Imani and Nicholas. We asked, sort-of testing to make sure she knew her phone number, what number did you give them? She said I gave Kira and Imani 476-.... ( which was correct, she knows her phone number) and I gave Nicholas 312-...." Chad and I laughed, as that is Chad's cell phone number. Chad said "good, I want to talk to that Nicholas if he calls".

This week Alyssa talked her dad into letting her call Nicholas. Alyssa dialed the number and spoke to Nicholas's father. She asked if Nicholas was there and his dad said, who is this. Alyssa explained that she was a friend from Nicholas class. Nicholas's dad said, well I'm not home right now I'm at work, you called my cell phone, but what is your number, I'll have Nicholas call you when I get home. Alyssa proudly gave Nicholas's dad her number.

Sure enough she got a call back from Nicholas. She took the phone to her room and chatted with him, while I stood outside her door and listened. She giggled and asked if his sister was there and if she could talk to her. She asked what he was doing. When I told her it was time to hang up she said in such a big girl way, "Nicholas I need to go, my mom said I need to go, I'll see you at school tomorrow, bye Nicholas".

I believe this is a small glimpse into the next 12 years! She is growing up so fast. YIKES

1 comment:

The Dunham's said...

I love it! Can't wait to see you guys next weekend. I think Nash and Owie are going to have a blast!
Love ya
Kim