Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


As I celebrated the day with my family I couldn't help but think about other moms. Especially my mom. For the last five years I've relished in the fact that I'm a mom and let the day be about me. Yes, I admit a bit self centered. But I let myself get caught up in the self loathing attitude that I'm the only mom that has it this hard or works more hours in a day that are naturally possible. Usually I'm critical of my mom, finding fault or ways that I'll "do it better or differently". Saying things like "oh no I sound like my mom".


This year I have a new perspective, one that has me reflecting on what my mom my means to me.


I realize that I have taken for granted the fact that my mom is worth celebrating and should be acknowledged for her efforts in raising three girls. Because I am a mom now, I can appreciate all that my mom sacrificed for us.


My mom is one strong woman and now that I know all the work that it takes to be a mom, I appreciate her all the more. I think about how young she was when she had my sister and I. Despite being young she loved us as babies, she nurtured and cared for us...she treasured us. Even though the circumstances weren't perfect she did her very best to provide for us. She taught me the importance of working hard for the things that matter the most to you and never giving up.


I can appreciate all the times she cuddled us when we were sick, took the time to bathe us before school the next day, cooked us dinner at night, took us to child care so that she could work to support our family, put our hair into pony tails even when we protested, took us to the beach and went to all our parent teacher conferences.


I appreciate her all the more that she put up with my sassy attitude, my disrespectful ways and my teenage challenges. She never stopped loving me, supporting me and showing me grace and mercy.


As I reflect on all that my mom did I realize that as a mom I have it really easy. I have a husband that shares the responsibilities with our children. My mom didn't have that. She did it all on her own much of the time. This Mother's Day, even though I wasn't with my mom she was constantly on my mind and in my heart. I love you mom!


No comments: