Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What the bunnies taught me




Our rabbit had bunnies the day I left for DC. It 's not a first for our rabbit (Junior, named before we knew she was a girl). Junior is a terrible mother. She has had a couple of litters of bunnies and killed them right after birth. We didn't know she was pregnant this time because we moved the male rabbit out of her cage right after the last litter was born. You know what they say about rabbits? Well it's true....silly us.

This time I didn't want the bunnies to die and told Chad, in my most bossy voice to take them out of the cage with their mother and "nurse" them.

Chad chuckled, like "yeah, right, I'm already caring for both our children, getting them off to child care, feeding them, bathing them and doing it all again the next day, all while you are in DC."

However, the next day when I called Chad reported that he had done some research on the Internet and found the type of milk necessary to feed bunnies. He'd called all over and found a pet store that sold it and went that night and purchased it. He told me that he was a little late getting Owen and Alyssa to the child care providers because he spent too much time in the morning "nursing 6 baby bunnies." He went on to tell me how interested Alyssa was in helping and how difficult it was to help Owen understand he needed to be gentle with the bunnies. Furthermore Chad called and asked Chad Eberhart to ask his dad (who is a vet) what else he could do to help these bunnies survive. So that night when I called Chad was at the grocery store picking up plain yogurt to supplement the bunnies feedings.

Chad is amazing, even after I did my own research on-line and found that there was a very slim chance the bunnies would make it, Chad kept a very positive attitude that "they will make it".

Today Chad emailed me the sweetest email, but had to inform me that the bunnies all died in the night. He wrote "everyone is mourning in the Friddle house."

The fact that we had bunnies for two days was really fun, even though I wasn't there. But what I found the most significant is that I have a wonderful, sensitive, attentive husband that cares enough about fragile bunnies and appeasing his wife and daughter enough to inconvenience his self enough to care for the bunnies and give them a chance they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Chad I love you!

By the way, we are done with bunnies and my grandparents have agreed to take the bunnies to their house in the country to care for them. Perhaps they will get a better female rabbit to mate with the male and be successful in the bunny business. For the Friddles, I think our next pet might be a hamster...Alyssa would love it.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Chad, we always knew you had a tender heart. That is so sweet, except for the dying part. We say you need to get a guinea pig. Do you want Lenny??? We miss you guys.