Monday, December 31, 2007

Special Gift







Our family has been blessed with a special gift. At first I really thought my mom Stephanie had been blessed, but what I'm realizing is that we all have. My mom married Chuck Bolden in 2005 (right?). I must say I was a bit sceptical (sorry Chuck, no hurt feelings). I say this only because my mom has been through a lot and I really didn't want to see her get hurt again. I wanted only the very best the next time around and wanted her to be HAPPY. I also knew that Chuck had been through some tough times (he lost his wife Jody to cancer). He has a daughter Lacy who is 21. I wasn't sure how this was going to work out for my mom, let alone our family.

But what I have come to realize is that my mom is HAPPY, she has found someone that absolutely loves her and is taking great care of her. After a year or so of fighting the reality I realize that yes, Mr. Bolden can give her what she needs and care for her like she deserves.

What I didn't realize is that we too have been blessed by this marriage.

First off, Chuck is very respectful of me and my family. He doesn't push or impose, he doesn't expect anything of us. Which is something I sort-of feared. I selfishly would say "we already have a family, we don't need more". Chuck has welcomed us to his family, but has not pushed us.

Secondly, Chuck is very giving, giving to my mom and giving to us. We have been blessed by his generosity greatly. He has given us material things, made us hand made items (which we treasure...our mantel and the toy box you'll see in the post)

Third, and I feel most strongly about this, is that he and our children have already established this bond, that I could have only wished for. He and Owen share a relationship that you long for your son to have with a grandpa figure. Owen just loves Chuck, he has coined Chucks saying "That's right", he also loves to go to "Charlie's Place" which is Chuck's new pool room up stairs to see the life size cut out of John Wayne, who Owen believes is Charlie. Chuck loves Alyssa and has been so kind and gentle with her. She loves going to Grandma and Papa's to look ride the Quad and look for frogs in the pond. Papa Chuck gets her the net and helps her to find the biggest frog in the pond which she holds without fear and chases her mom with.

We certainly have been blessed. Chuck, Thank you for loving my mom, being so generous and loving my children and us! We are also fortunate to be part of the family, we look forward to getting to know your family more.

No comments: